Monday 25 July 2011

Beginning to be grateful

My husband has been working. A lot. Now, I'm not used to him either going to work regularly, being offered overtime, let alone accepting it, enjoying his job, or being valued in his place of employment.

I thought I was being understanding. We need the money, so I understand he has to go to work. It doesn't make me any less irritated that he is again gone, overnight, on a job, in a hotel, for the next two days. But I understand he has to go. I caught myself thinking that old thought 'It would be so nice to just win the lottery'

In this new way of thinking.. I stopped and thought.. would it?

Would I appreciate my husband's hard work.. if he wasn't working?
Would I be thankful for the food on the table if it wasn't sacrificed for?
Would I admire my husband for providing, if it was all given to him?
Would I be able to sustain a marriage that didn't require teamwork?

Would I show pride for a lifestyle we didn't earn?

Maybe instead of wishing for the easy route, I should be more thankful for the present.

When he gets called away, we email chat like high school kids.
When he works late, we chat in the dark through sleepy eyes.
When he gets called on jobs, he feels good about himself, and projects his happiness unto others.

It is hard to have a partner whose job takes him away. It doesn't have to be easy, I'm allowed hard days, and I can want his help.This is really building a foundation that we weren't able to build for the last 5 years of our marriage. Every couple has to be their dues. We are kind of behind. It's like we stalled out at the blueprint stage, and we are just now pouring cement. So what? We are behind.. but we are now finally moving ahead.. and for the first time, we are both wearing the same colour helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment